Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Simple Battles But Important Victories

My daughter, Jessica, came up to me while I was in the middle of changing and dressing my youngest for the day.  With only 15 minutes on the clock before our Bible study and leaving for school she started reading the Bible lesson we were going to do for the day to me.  Everything in me wanted to say, honey we don't have time for this, we have to go, go, go!  Instead, somehow, the business of the morning did not drown out the still, sweet voice whispering to me, "Your daughter is reading my word, you can run late!"  I was reminded of another lesson that I have to learn again and again.  We have to be intentional and let God work in those sweet rare moments in a family of so many where I just have two of them (the other three running around the house like crazy people) and one wants my attention.  I stood there holding Sadie and listened to my 7 year old read a story about one of Jesus' miracles.  She read it beautifully and was so proud of herself.  Still though I found myself in battle....all the voices in my head, "Hurry, we have to go!"  vs. "Be still and listen!" forced me to be distracted.  It is hard to be still some times, ok, most of the time.  As a mother of five, still is not an option most of the time.  Most of the time the only way I eat is standing up.  However, let us be intentional to find those still sweet times to listen to our children and disciple them.  They also teach us a lot about ourselves.

 By the way...we were only 5 minutes later to school than normal but still before school started.  That in itself, is a miracle!

No comments:

Post a Comment